[EM] majority rule criteria

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sun Jan 9 22:02:48 PST 2005

Mike,

Yes, it's true that "majority rule" is an ambiguous term, and so there is
no one 'correct' definition. However, I find some definitions more useful
than others. Let me suggest 4 general categories of majority rule methods,
based on 4 basic criteria.

Criterion 1: If a majority of the electorate coordinates their efforts,
they can assure that a given candidate is elected, or that another given
candidate is not elected.
Criterion 2: Mutual majority criterion
Criterion 3: Condorcet efficiency
Criterion 4: Minimal dominant set (Smith, GeTChA) efficiency

Criterion 1 only: Pseudomajority methods.
Criteria 1 and 2 only: Weak majority rule methods.
Criteria 1, 2, and 3: Intermediate majority rule methods.
Criteria 1, 2, 3, and 4: Strong majority rule methods.

Pseudomajority methods: Plurality, approval, range voting, Borda
Weak majority rule methods: single-winner STV
Intermediate majority rule methods: Minimax (aka SD, PC, etc.), Nanson,
Black, etc.
Strong majority rule methods: ranked pairs, beatpath, river, cardinal
pairwise (assuming that a strong-majority base method is used)

You are correct in saying that in pseudomajority methods (like plurality
and range voting), a given majority of the electorate *can* coordinate
their intentions and decide the winner, but this merely postpones the
question of how they do this. The stronger majority methods not only
enable firmly coordinated majorities to assert themselves, but they allow
majorities to *reveal* themselves, with out any need for prior
coordination. I think that voting methods that facilitate this process of
revelation are superior to those that do not.

The remaining three categories allow mutual majorities to reveal
themselves (in the absence of a self-defeating strategy by supporters of
this majority). Strong majority rule methods not only reveal mutual
majorities, but they reveal minimal dominant sets and Condorcet winners
(in the absence of a severe burying strategy). This is especially valuable
because it means revealing possible compromises on divisive issues, thus
avoiding a lot of political polarization and strife.

As you have said, many progressive policies may be supported by a
majority, but they have not been brought to a fair vote. A major goal of a
good voting system is to *reveal* these majority-supported policies, to
avoid their getting lost in the noise of the two party system. Can they be
revealed if we use a pseudomajority method like range voting? Yes, it's
quite possible, but it's more difficult. In many cases it means that the
intention-revealing part of the process, which is ideally the purpose of
the voting system, will have to be deferred to some other mechanism or
institution.

Sincerely,
James Green-Armytage
http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/voting.htm