[EM] Re: To Chris, about Range Voting

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Jan 8 11:33:01 PST 2005

Chris Benham wrote:
> "If  a majority prefers candidate x to any other candidate, then x must
> win".

If this test is about sincere preferences, then all methods are subject
to "false positives" due to strategic voting.  In theory, false
negatives would also be possible if voters are misinformed about other
voters' preferences:

51 A>B>C
02 B
47 C>B>A

If a few of the A voters believe that C has a chance of winning, despise
C strongly enough, and are comfortable enough with B to rank B first,
then it's possible for B to win in a method that meets "majority favorite".

As far as I'm concerned, Majority Favorite's main value is as a sanity
check for ranked methods-- if you collect this data, you are generally
obligated not to contradict it.  Used in this way, only ballot
information is important, not sincere preferences.

I'm generally suspicious of any criterion containing the term "majority"
in the name, partly because it's so easy to come up with absurd methods
that meet these criteria.  Although Majority Favorite is probably more
defensible than the others, which admit various kinds of "derived" or
"manufactured" majorities.

Bart