[EM] Re: Deterministic Districting

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Jan 7 15:16:57 PST 2005

On Jan 7, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Ted Stern wrote:

> The Iowa plan has worked well for 20-odd years:
>
>       http://www.centrists.org/pages/2004/07/7_buck_trust.html
>
> There is a similar method in place in Washington State.

Hey, *I* like it.   But reading that article, it seems to require a
certain level of maturity on the part of the legislature, and trust in
judges on the part of the public.  I fear both are in shorter supply in
California than in Iowa.  Not so much that it can't work, but perhaps
enough that people might not want to take that risk...

> [snip comments on PR and legislative size]
> This is a deep issue.

Heh.  In California we have so many shallow stupidities, I'll settle
for solving those first...

-- Ernie P.