Re: [EM] my 2¢ on range voting (and other pseudomajority methods)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 7 13:30:15 PST 2005

Brian,

 --- Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> a écrit :
> > I don't think that range voting should be used for this scenario. Why
> > not?
> > Because it is not a majority rule system. It is possible for a
> > candidate
> > to win in range voting even if they are the last choice of 99% of the
> > voters. Unlikely, but mathematically true.
>
> Since you are talking about an election method that indeed should not
> be used, who here has proposed using such a method? I expect that the
> method you are striking down is subtly but crucially different than
> anything anyone was actually promoting.
>
> So, the example in that last paragraph looks something like this, right?
> 99* 1.0, 0.0
> 1* 0.0, 100000000.0
>
> But I don't remember any suggestions that we have such unbounded
> ballots and straight rating summation.

Why do you think James Green-Armytage was talking about unbounded ballots?

> Early in his
> often cited book, Kenneth Arrow asserted that you can't measure
> interpersonal utility. That's why he focused on orderings, personal and
> social.
> I disagree and say that we implicitly do measure interpersonal
> utility by giving everyone "one vote" and thus we give everyone equal
> utility and an equal share of the social utility.

I still think your disagreement is silly, primarily because I don't understand
how "giving everyone one vote" shows that we implicitly measure interpersonal
utility.

And even if I did understand that, I still think it's silly, since just because
we "implicitly do" measure interpersonal utility doesn't mean we really *can*
measure it, which would require that all voters are sincere and use exactly
the same rating scale. Ballots would have to read minds.

> To that end "cumulative" and "normalized" forms of ratings exist.

And how did you get here? Why would anyone advocate the cumulative vote for
a single-winner election?

IRNR is your method, so I would think it would be obvious to you that the
normalization is rubbish without the eliminations.

Kevin Venzke