[EM] Re: Is range voting the panacea we need?

RLSuter at aol.com RLSuter at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 20:48:02 PST 2005

Chris,

Your arguments aren't making much sense to me. You quote one
advocate of range voting regarding "regret" and majority rule
and suggest that all range voting advocates say the same thing.
What evidence do you have that most RV advocates say this, or
even that it is what the one person you quote really means?

Also, you give an example of a 3-voter election, but how is this
even remotely relevant to the kinds of elections that I presume
we are most concerned with, namely ones with at least thousands
if not tens or hundreds of thousands or millions of voters of many
different kinds?

As for strategy and the supposed agony voters will suffer while
trying to figure out how to vote in Approval Voting or Range
Voting elections, it certainly can't be true that all or even most
voters will agonize about their decisions or have any reason to
do so, or that the sum total of voter agony in an AV or RV
election would be greater than in an election using a method
you prefer more. If you think so, please explain why.

-Ralph Suter