[EM] Chris, Range-Voting

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 1 16:08:58 PST 2005

Hallo,

Chris Benham wrote (1 Jan 2005):
> To me, it is axiomatic that a single-winner voting method
> should, with sincere voting, reduce to FPP when there are
> only two candidates.

Mike Ossipoff replied (1 Jan 2005):
> Axiomatic? You're giving to us a fundamental standard that
> you have. That's your axiom. You mustn't expect everyone
> to have the same axioms that you have.

That's not Benham's criterion. That's May's criterion:
If there are only two candidates A and B and the number
of voters who strictly prefer candidate A to candidate B
is strictly larger than the number of voters who strictly
prefer candidate B to candidate A, then candidate A must
be elected with certainty.

Markus Schulze