[EM] Russ's hopefully final reply

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:41:25 PST 2005

Russ said:

Folks,

This is my final reply to Mike

I reply:

That's great, if you can really keep that promise.

Russ continued:

, then I will block his email address.
already blocked the one he was using to communicate with me privately

I reply:

  Actually, as I said, it was I who blocked Russ's e-mail some time ago.
Though I've sent nothing to his e-mail addresses, he can block e-mail if it
makes him feel better.

Russ continued:

I'd said:

>Of course, we'd all like to believe that anyone can be reached. I found
>that to not be so, and so I blocked Russ's e-mail, and that led to his
>raging and ranting on EM.

Russ replies:

That is another lie, folks. What happened was that I blocked his email
addres

I reply:

  Russ demonstrates the elementary-school inclination to copy things that
have been said about him. For instance, copying word-for-word some terms
that I've used when referring to his anti-evolution sources. And now his new
claim that he has blocked my e-mail, after I'd previously mentioned that I'd
blocked his e-mail.

  Yes of course it makes no difference who blocked e-mail first,  and the
good thing is that, if his word is any good (but when has it been any good?)
he won't post any more of his rants.

Russ continued:

s, and then I discovered later that he had posted a message behind
my back on EM in which he fabricated a story about why
ElectionMethods.org was "canceled."

I reply:

No, actually I accurately told why I told Russ that he no longer had
permission to have my articles at his website, or anything from me that he
couldn't find from other sources.

Russ continued:

Mike is a sneaky, dishonest guy.
Apparently he thought I would never see his phoney message on EM, but he
was wrong.

I reply:

No, it was obvious that someone would send a copy of it to you, or you'd
check.

Russ continued:

I must admit, folks, that I was lazy and foolish when I decided to
partner with Mike on ElectionMethods.org. I should have at least spent
some time on EM, and I should not have simply assumed that Mike was a
normal, sane person. I am trying to do you folks a favor by informing
you of Mike's bizarre ideas.

II reply:

But you did that favor a long time ago, so it hardly justifies your
continued ranting. And no matter how many times you repeat that it's bizarre
to not believe everything that your tv tells you, things aren't so merely
because you repeat them.

  Anyway, thanks for demonstrating to all of us, by your postings, how much
of a sane person you are.

Russ continued:

A couple of years ago, Mike expressed an interest in learning to do some
programming

I reply:

Actually I'd done some programming, going back to the 70s. No, not
professionallly, and just using the programming languages that were
available on college computers at that time: Fortran Wat4, Fortran 77, and
BASIC.

Russ continued:

, which he had never done.

I reply:

  No, actually I had.

Russ continued:

He asked me what language I
recommend. I told him that I like Python

II reply:

I'd read recommendations of Python from a few sources, that suggested that
it was the easiest of the currently popular programming languages. Russ said
that he liked it too.

Rss continued:

Then we decided to post some CSSD code on the site. He said he would
send pseudocode, and I would implement it in Python.

I reply:

  Actually no. At that time it hadn't occurred to me that I could make the
job a lot easier for myself by sending the algorithm to Russ in pseudocode.
At that time I felt that it would be necessary to send it in a programming
language, of course one known to both Russ and to me. Python seemed like the
best language for that purpose. Of course pseudocode would have been easier.

Russ continued:

Mike had never
actually obtained access to a Python interpreter, but I suggested that
he could take a cut at a Python implementation and I would fix the
syntax, debug it, and test it. In other words, the pseudocode would be
written in Python.

I reply:

Python was agreed-upon, but I wasn't aware that Python is pseudocode.

  Russ continued:

Well, Mike sent me piece of junk that was chocked full of both syntax
errors and logic errors.

I reply:

Incorrect. . There were some things that Russ wanted to do differently. In
some instances I convinced him that what I'd suggested was better. In some
instances he did it as he preferred.
Those were things that would have worked fine either way.

  As for errors, they were of 2 types: 1) trivial syntax errors like
forgetting the ":" at the end of some lines; 2) The wrong guess about the
meaning  of ambiguous wording in a Python book, regarding how Python reads
array notation. Those were the only types of errors.

Russ continued:

Rather than spend all kinds of time trying to
make it work, I replied and suggested how he could fix some of the
syntax errors at least. Then I tried to explain to him what everyone who
has ever written one line of code knows: you can't get any nontrivial
program working without trial and error. Any nontrivial programming
requires *testing* -- often *lots* of testing.
\
  I reply:

Of course I agreed with that, and didn't expect my Python to be bug-free the
first time. As I said, it had syntax errors, and misinterpretation of
ambiguous wording in a Python book,about how Python reads array notation. As
for errors relating to what the program should do, , no there weren't any
errors of that type.

Russ said that's why it would be better if I actually tested the program in
Python. I preferred to letl Russ do that.

Russ replied:

But Mike was technically incapable of getting access to a Python
interpreter (or any other language either, as far as I know)

  I reply:

  Russ seems to be saying that my reason for not implementing Python was
that it was too complicated a task. I'll never know how complicated a task
it would have been, though, because I had a lot of other things to do, and
wasn't inclined to deal with it.
\
Russ continued:

, so Mike then explained that he couldn't handle the Python convention of
using indentation, in lieu of "endif" and "endfor" delimiters, to define
the logical structure. By this time I was starting to wonder about
Mike's level of intelligence, but I figured it was probably just a
matter of personal preference.

I reply:

No, it wasn't just a personal preference.

  Actually again Russ's account is incorrect: I'd repeatedly made it clear
that _e-mail_ sometimes can't deal with indentations. Sometimes e-mail
alters columns, and displaces the indentations, making Python's indentations
into garbage. I clearly explained to Russ that that was why I wanted to
include the "endif", "endfor", "endwhile", etc. I said that, when the
program arrives, he could remove the delimiters. I liked the idea of leaving
them in, labeled as comments, so that anyone couuld easily copy and e-mail
the program.

  Russ continued:

A also explained to him, in passing, that he could put in comments by
simply preceeding them with a "#". I even showed him an example of how
to do it.

I reply:

Thank you Russ, but I'd already read about that  notation for comments, in
the Python book that I'd purchased.

Russ continued:

Well, on his next iteration, he did something that really amazed me. He
had corrected some of the syntax errors, and he sent me the code
embedded in an email message (rather than attaching it). No problem. I
can easily cut and paste a section of code.

I reply:

Yes, that seemed to me something that would be easy.

Russ continued:

He has preceded the actual
code with a lengthy explanatory message to me that was perhaps a page or
two long.

I reply:

I don't remember the particular e-mail, or how long the message was. When
sending a program, sometimes there are issues about the program that should
be commented on, and presumably that's what Russ is referring to.

Russ continues:

This lengthy preamble was obviously not intended to be a
comment to be included with the code, yet Mike had preceded every line
of it with a "#" comment delimiter!

  I reply:

   So let's find out if I've got this right: I'd preceded the lines of text
with the comment marker, so you're assuming that I hadn't intended for it to
be able to be included with the program. A more obvious explanation would be
that I added the comment markers in case you copied the whole thing as a
program. You'd said something to the effect that the program shouldn't have
anything e-mailed with it, just the program. But it seemed important to make
my comments in the same e-mail. Therefore, since you wanted the e-mail to
contain nothing but program, I added the comment markers so that it could
all be program.

It isn't clear why that's so important to you, or why you waste the list's
time and archive space by writing at such length on a topic so off-topic as
your impressions of programs that I've written years ago.

Russ continues:

He fancies himself to be some sort of expert in
voting algorithms

I reply:

  Excuse me, Russ, but I've never said that I was an expert on voting
algorithms. You, however, were telling people that I was a world-class
expert on voting systems--until, of course, you found out that I find fault
with your tv's account of 9/11, and question the legitimacy of unverifiable
election count results. :-) Or, more accurately, till I told you to delete
my articles from your website, and blocked your e-mail.

I reply:

, yet he is incapable of writing a basic computer
program.

I reply:

I'd been writing and using computer programs since the 70s.  Because Python
was new to me, I at first made such syntax errors as leaving out ":"   And,
as I said, I mis-guessed the meaning of a Python book's ambiguous
description of how Python reads the notation that could be used for
multidimensional arrays. Later I wrote my Python programs in a way that
didn't use Python's facility for those arrays, but which, rather used a
function to make the arrays using the book's more-unambiguously-described
1-dimensional lists. That made it more useful for copying into other
languages, , since pretty much all languages have at least 1-dimensional
arrays, but not all (at least at that time) had multidimensional ones, and
different languages  use different notations for them.

Russ continued:

He is a pedantic pretender. My embarrassingly dumb mistake was
not to figure that out sooner.

I reply:

His embarrassing and dumb mistake was to complain about and argue against my
withdrawal of my articles from his website. What was wrong with Russ, to
want the articles of a pedantic pretender and pathetic amateur? :-)
.
Russ continues:

he never did see fit to tell us his occupation

I reply:

No, but I told you why I won't tell you where I work, where I reside, or
anything else about me: You seem like a dangerously unstable lunatic.

Russ continued:

and level of
education

RI reply:

Russ really wants to know. Russ boasts that he has an engineering degree
from Stanford. Maybe true, maybe delusion. If true, then good for you, Russ.
You want us to know that you're good at something. If so, then it would
probably be better to stick with that. Because, if so, then why do you feel
a need to keep repeating the same ignorant comments here? Haven't you
anything else to do?

Maybe I didn't make this clear enough before, so I'll be more explicit with
it: If anything that I say seems incorrect, or doesn't make sense on its own
merits, then disregard it.

  In voting system discussions and articles, one really must judge what is
said on its own merits. Authority and credentials aren't very helpful. For
isntance, Russ claims that there's something that he's good at, but his
voting system postings sound like those from the typical pretentious and
ignorant  crank.

If anyone wants to judge what I say about voting systems on whether I've
attended Stanford to study some different subject, that's their business. In
fact, I don't benefit from my voting system work. It wouldn't affect me if
everyone said: "Russ is right, Mike doesn't have the credentials in some
other subject to make him credible on voting systems."

I've merely felt that I should do my part, and I have done my part. For me,
that's enough. What others do or don't do, isn't my business.  I've
furnished information, and what, if anything, is done with it isn't the
important thing.

As for academic details, you can believe that I want to conceal them if you
want to, but I just consider it an unreasonable  question. If you know me at
all, after all this time, you know that I wouldn't want to try to gain
credibility or authority by having someone mistakenly believe that I have
credentials or authority that I don't have. So am I refusing to tell
academic details because my academic record wouldn't be impressive enough
and I want you to think I have more credential-authority than I do, or
because it's just none of Russ's business, is irrelevant here, and is an
unreasonable question? Just assume that I have no credential-authority. As I
said, I've never expected anything that I say to be accepted because of
authority or credentials.

Anyway, it isn't clear just what else Russ thinks that I should accomplish
in order to establish credibility.

If Russ can take pride in somethng else that he's done elsewhere, then good
for him. But no boasting about a degree can make his postings here betteror
more original or more rational than they are.

As for the degree that Russ boasts of, I'm not just trying to be critical
when I say that it would be surprising if his claim is true. He just doesn't
sound like someone sane or responsible  enough for that. .  But I won't make
an issues of that. I don't take a position on whethe or not Russ has that
degree.

  If he does have the degree, how can it be explained?

  Was his father an alumnus there?

Did his father make big donations to the university?

  Did Russ's teachers like him enough and feel sorry enough for him to give
him C grades that he hadn't actually earned?

Or is the degree just a delusion?

I don't claim to know the explaination for the apparent contradiction
between Russ degree claim and his postings here. But it doesn't matter. No
degree can make Russ's posted statements, on voting systems or anything
else, have validity that they don't have.

Now, let's find out if Russ can keep his promise to quit the ranting,
raving, frothing-at-the-mouth postings.

Mike Ossipoff