[EM] electionmethods.org idea?

Dan Keshet dkesh at channel1.com
Mon Jan 17 12:03:49 PST 2005

This is a little presumptious of me to make suggestions regarding
electionmethods.org as I have nothing invested in it, but I think it would be
good to turn it into an election methods wiki.

Why a wiki would be useful:

1) Unlike a static committee, a wiki allows new contributors to get their feet
wet slowly.
2) A wiki would allow many more contributors, and would make it easier for all
to contribute by offering a simple syntax.
3) Wikis are very good forms for offering lots of information that can grow
dynamically.
4) A wiki might allow people like me, unable to follow half the math, to still
contribute through formatting, etc., or offering information on election
methods news through the world.

Why Wikipedia isn't good-enough:

1) Wikipedia has a "no original research" policy.  Already, some of what's up
on the WIkipedia voting systems pages is borderline, other parts of it are
*way* over.  People like me, long-time contributors to Wikipedia, are bound
to "clean up" good information not because it's inaccurate, but because it
doesn't fit Wikipedia's mission or policy.

2) Wikipedia doesn't want election methods minutia.  Wikipedia requires almost
all election-methods math to be translated into lay terms.

Just a thought,

Dan Keshet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DanKeshet