[EM] James: counting time

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 08:42:22 PST 2005

James--

You wrote:

	Do you mean a situation where there is less than a few minutes to come to
a decision? I could see approval being helpful there. But if there is at
least that much time, it's quick enough to fill out a ranked ballot and
then count the key pairwise comparisons by show of hands.

I reply:

No, pairwise counting takes longer than Approval, nearly always., whether
done by ballot or show of hands. Pairwise count time increases quadratically
with the number of candidates. Approval counting time increases linearly
with the number of candidates.

You're talking about when there are only very few candidates or
alternatives. Maybe then handcounted Condorcert would work in a hurry.

In a group voting on what movie to go to, I'd suggest Condorcet (PC) if
there were only a few movies. If it were necessary to vote among many
movies, and there weren't much time, or much pre-existing interest in voting
systems, and no already-programmed computer, I'd use Approval instead of
Condorcet.

Mike Ossipoff