[EM] Plurality-order principle

Tom Ruen tomruen at itascacg.com
Wed Jan 12 15:22:04 PST 2005

I'm interested in opinions on these thoughts:

I see there's two major conflicting principles that we want in a single
winner election winner:
1. Plurality Principle - we want the winner who is can beat all others in
the full set of candidates. (Intensity of support)
2. Condorcet Principle - we want a winner who can beat all other
head-to-head (Breadth of support)

I'm not interested in a debate whether either or both of these are valuable
(or even fully defined) principles, and I accept opinions will vary which
principle should rule exclusively or both or neither.

Our current single-winner elections are largely done by plurality, so this
suggests to me that any reform done must be consistent with valuing the
plurality count.

Runoffs (with a majority winner constraint) are a sort of compromise between
these two principles. In the final round you know that the chosen winner
will also be the Condorcet winner for that final set of surviving
candidates. That's a nice little piece of knowledge.

The "problem" (for me) with runoffs are when different elimination rules can
sometimes result in a different final set of candidates AND possibly find a
different winner.

Specifically I consider "top-two runoff" versus "bottom-up runoff" as two
extremes - the first most "harsh", and the last most "careful". Looking at
these extremes I see that a runoff has the "original top-two" and the
bottom-up-elimination "final top-two" as a different set of candidates, then
we know different elimination rules can possibly pick different winners, BUT
runoffs don't allow us to "peek" at alternative winners.

For me this is the #1 feature of IRV which I think will cause politicians to
reject IRV. If I'm a candidate and I reach first or second in the first
round, I EXPECT I should NEVER have to face elimination except to be
defeated by a united majority against me. However IRV can have this result
in a race where second and third place are close. (Like A=39%, B=30%, C=28%,
D=3%)

I call this general idea as: Respecting Plurality Order. This is what
candidates see in their expectations for success. (I accept that "plurality
order" is not a stable measure since it can change if you change the
original set of candidates, but there's nothing to be done about this except
completely abandon plurality counts as valuable.)

I've never seen this "respect plurality order" idea expressed in this way,
but I find it useful - most of all to reject bottom-up IRV.

I considered which election methods can satisfy this "respecting plurality
order" principle. The general idea comes down to disallowing more than 1
elimination round. AND it makes sense in terms of fairness. In the first
round candidates KNOW their competitors, KNOW preelection poll data, and can
judge their chances. However when the second round competition is
unpredictable voters and candidates are put at a disadvantage to know how
long to "stand tall", and when it is time to "compromise down" for a
stronger candidate against an unexpected common enemy. Mechanized sequential
rules are fine when elimination order is predictable, but unacceptable when
voters might CHANGE their vote based on who was eliminated.

Limiting elimination to one round means candidates are partitioned into two
sets "top set", "bottom set". All candidates in the top set have more votes
in the plurality count than all candidates in the bottom set. Whatever rules
are used to make this "top set", everyone will agree the winner should come
from the top set of candidates, and the lower set can be eliminated. (IRV
proponents will gladly say an elimination process can continue into a second
elimination round, but I disagree because candidates will find themselves
competing in a different field, and it becomes unfair to force elimination
mechanically from rank ballots.)

The methods that follow this "plurality order" approach are:
    1. Plurality. (Top 1 wins)
    2. Top-two runoff. (Stronger of top-two wins)
    3. Condorcet. (No elimination)

All of these could be considered special cases of a general
Plurality-Condorcet method:

Plurality-Condorcet:
    Round 1: Perform a plurality count, and eliminate a bottom set of
candidates by predetermined criteria.
    Round 2: Perform a Condorcet count to find the winner. (Neglecting cases
of no Condorcet Candidate)

I've considered different rules for elimination. My current "pet rule" is to
eliminate all candidates with less than half as many votes as the plurality
leader. It is "generous" without usually allowing too many candidates
passing to the second round. I'd probably add a minimum top-two survivor
rule as well to retain a final majority winner. We might also add an
additional safety net rule "all candidates above 15% survive to round 2" to
have a clear threshold for candidates (and supporters) to strive for in
preelection polls.

I like this set of methods because they seem to respect both plurality and
condorcet. Plurality supporters will accept the elimination sets as fair
(forced mass-elimination from a known set of competitors). And Condorcet
supporters ought to be willing to compromise and accept this "primary" round
to reduce the candidates and they might even be happy for a smaller pairwise
victory table.

This single-elimination round continues to have a spoiler effect.
Introducing a new candidate similar to an otherwise winner, with less votes
than that otherwise winner, could help knock out that winner in the first
round. I only justify the continuation in that a "generous" survival rule
can offset this fear, AND to the degree candidates FEAR their own
elimination, it will encourage them to talk with like-minded candidates to
compromise BEFORE the election (as plurality encourages). I consider that a
positive aspect of the "spoiler effect". I often wonder that without any
spoiler effect, that candidates would too easily multiple beyond the ability
of voter to make an informed choice.

For me this also suggests a "progress" of methods from existing plurality
towards "spoiler free" Condorcet. And until the Condorcet pairwise process
becomes accepted legally as a valid counting method within "one person, one
vote", I see the best we can do is a Top-two Runoff. (OR Top-two Instant
Runoff)

This is my argument against (bottom-up) IRV as a useful reform. In reality I
see IRV as "mostly harmless" and perhaps 99.9% of the time in practice
top-two and bottom-up IRV will agree (IRV and Condorcet as well!), but I
really fear a single nasty election where the original top-two and final
top-two differ that it will sour people towards IRV and ALL election
reforms.

As I've long said "Plurality is the enemy". It is "default" when people
can't agree on anything else.

I like to visualize a "progression" of single-winner methods because this
sequence doesn't say better/worse - just different compromises between two
competing contradictory principles. In any given circumstance, we can ask:
Do we "compromise towards Condorcet more", or "Compromise towards Plurality
more"? I like that.

Tom Ruen