[EM] Election Certification

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 00:11:37 PST 2005

A long, long, long time ago there was some discussion in this group
about touch screen voting machines and verifiable secure voting. Last
year I formalized some ideas from this discussion and wrote a paper,
which may be of interest to some of this group's participants:

Johnson, Kenneth C, "Election Certification by Statistical Audit of
Voter-Verified Paper Ballots" (October 31, 2004).
http://ssrn.com/abstract=640943

One of the things I found was that the analysis of a conventional
statistical recount is quite complicated - I only considered the case of
a two-candidate race and wouldn't want to attempt more complicated
cases. However, the alternative method that I advocate ("statistical
error count") is much simpler and could be easily generalized to work
with multiple candidates and alternative voting systems.

Ken Johnson