[EM] Re: lotteries

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:15:21 PST 2005

This looks like another way of doing Spruced Up Random Candidate.

In particular, properties 7 and 8 below correspond to the first two steps
of the "Spruce Up" process.  Because of this, Spruced Up Lottery has to be
equivalent to Lottery.  And then properties 5 and 6 finish the
characterization of Spruced Up Random Candidate.

At minimum, they are equivalent for public elections.

I have always considered Spruced Up Random Ballot to be superior to
Spruced Up Random Candidate. This question could be answered by comparing
Lottery (equivalent to Spruced Up Random Ballot) with Random Ballot Dutta
(equivalent to Spruced Up Random Ballot).

How well does Random Ballot Dutta compare with Lottery?  I would think
that it would satisfy all of the properties below but with slightly
greater Social Utility.

By the way ... is there any difference between Banks, Dutta, and "iterated
uncovered set" in the context of public elections?

Any spruced up non-deterministic method satisfies at least properties 2,
4, 7, and 8. (also property 6, concerning the size of W, but not
necessarily the numerical values of the probabilities)

If the Porter-Nudelman-Shoham algorithm is not always efficient, then
(equivalent) Spruced Up Random Candidate should be used, since the
sprucing up process can be done efficiently.

Ted Stern gets the credit for finding an efficient sprucing up procedure
by finding an existing clone collapsing algorithm in the literature.

I like this as well as any other ordinal ballot method that I have ever
seen.

However, even though it is non-deterministic, and highly manipulation
resistant, it is not totally manipulation free:

(following Bart's critique on non-determinism...)

Suppose that there are three factions with sincere preferences

   x A>C>B
   y B>C>A
   z C>B>A ,

and that there is no statistically discernible difference in the values of
x, y, and z.

Suppose further that for all members of the first faction the utility u of
the sincere Condorcet Winner C is below mean, i.e. less than halfway from
B to A: 0 < u < 50% < 100% .

Then this faction would be better off voting A>B>C which would give their
favorite A a one third chance of winning, as long as the method
(deterministic or not) satisfied neutrality, since statistically A would
then have the same chance of winning as B or C.

Specifically their expected utility rises from u to (100%+u)/3, which is
an improvement as long as u < 50%.

Of course, the C faction can easily guard against this ploy by truncating
A. But the point is that they do have to employ some strategy or sustain
significant risk of losing their rightful victory.

This shows that all neutral Condorcet methods (including Lottery) require
strategical vigilence.

This result taken together with the Gibbard Satterwaithe (sp?) theorem
shows that the only non-manipulable methods based on ordinal ballots are
like Random Ballot, in that they are nondeterministic and they fail the
Condorcet Criterion.

Which of the desireable criteria below is failed by Random Ballot Dutta?

I suspect that Random Ballot Dutta was not suggested because in tournament
applications there may not be any ballots to fall back on, and Lottery
requires only the pairwise win matrix, which may be all that is available
in some applications.

I think Random Ballot Dutta would be easier to sell than Lottery in virtue
of its relative simplicity. In particular the artifice of a tournament of
lotteries brings in abstract baggage that would put off most citizens, no
matter how elegant it might seem to the rest of us.

However, if Lottery is truly superior to Random Ballot Dutta, then I think
we should offer it in the Spruced Up Random Candidate form, since that
form doesn't require the introduction of a tournament of lotteries, but
gives identical results in public elections.

Here is Lottery in the form of Spruced Up Random Ballot:

1. Cross out strategically dominated candidates (so that only Dutta
candidates remain).  This ensures the satisfaction of the Generalized
Condorcet Criterion. [If we were doing Random Ballot Dutta, our final step
would be to elect the highest reamining candidate on a randomly drawn
ballot.]

2. Collapse all remaining proper beat clone sets.  This makes the method
beat clone free, which implies clone free. [Ted Stern has found an
efficient way of doing this clone collapsing step.]

3.  If the result is a single candidate, we're done.  Otherwise it is a
(collapsed) cyclical clone set.  Pick a member of this cycle at random.
If that member is a single candidate, we're done.  Otherwise, it is a
(collapsed) cyclical clone set. Continue in this manner until a candidate
is chosen.

Good work, Jobst.  It looks like somebody else has done most of the
criteria compliance work for us on Spruced Up Random Candidate, which is
where I went when trying to de-clone your ROACC method.  In fact, Lottery,
Spruced Up Random Candidate, Spruced Up Copeland, and Spruced Up ROACC are
all equivalent, at least in public elections, if not always.

Forest