[EM] Secondary list moderator

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Wed Jan 5 21:32:01 PST 2005

Hi folks,

With the Mailman software we're using for this mailing list, it's a
fairly easy exercise for me to go though the queue of email that gets
sent to the list from non-list members.  The bad news is that I'm still
falling down on the job.  I let 156 messages stack up from the beginning
of November.  Of course, 155 of them (as near as I could tell from
skimming the subject and sender) were spam, and only one legitimate mail
from Warren Smith on December 16 was kept waiting.

So, I'd like to deputize a secondary list moderator.  The job
responsibilities are pretty light.  You'll be notified when there is a
pending moderator request.  You can use a password I provide you to log
in and approve or reject the request.  If the queue still has requests,
you'll receive an email once per day notifying you of how many pending
requests there are.  Based on the past couple of months, this roughly
equates to 2-3 pieces of spam every day, plus the very occasional
legitimate non-list posting.

Since there is room to abuse this (fortunately, not much), I'd like to
use this process.  Please send mail to me in any/all of the following cases:

1.  If you are interested, send me mail volunteering
2.  If you'd like to express a vote of confidence in any list member as
a constructive and friendly member of the list, I'd like to hear it.
3.  If you'd like to express a vote of no confidence in a list member
who is a crackpot, loon, or generally unfriendly, I suppose I'd better
know that too.  I haven't paid close enough attention to the list to
really get a good sense of all of the nuances here.  If nuance isn't
necessary to identify the person, I probably already know.  ;-)

It's not like this person (or persons, doesn't need to be exclusive) is
going to have a lot of power, so this isn't a high stakes decision.
Nevertheless, there is some level of trust involved, so I'd like to get
the right person.

Thanks
Rob