[EM] Markus reply

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 27 12:29:38 PST 2005

Markus Schulze markus.schulze-at-alumni.tu-berlin.de |EMlist| wrote:
> Dear Russ,
>
> I interpret Mike Ossipoff's "Strategy-Free Criterion" (SFC)
> and "Generalized Strategy-Free Criterion" (GSFC) as follows:
>
> "X >> Y" means that a majority of the voters strictly prefers
> candidate X to candidate Y.
>
> SFC: Suppose (1) A >> B and (2) the partial individual
> rankings can be completed in such a manner that candidate A
> is a Condorcet candidate. Then candidate B must be elected
> with zero probability.

I think you are trying to convert what I call a "Mike-style" criterion
into a "normal" criterion. Let me repeat a portion of what I wrote
yesterday:

What we have here, it seems to me, is confusion cause by a failure to
distinguish between two fundamentally different classes of criteria.
Consider the basic voting process. It starts with the voters' true
preferences, then the votes are cast, then the votes are tallied and the
winner is determined:

true preferences --> votes cast --> winner determined

Let's call the process represented by the first arrow the "voting
strategy" and the process represented by the second the "tally rules."

All voting system criteria that I have ever seen, excluding those that
originated with Mike, involve the tally rules only. They consider only
the votes cast and make no reference whatsoever to the true preferences
of the voters.

At some point Mike came along and changed the paradigm fundamentally,
probably without ever explaining that he was doing so. Naturally, this
causes confusion. To minimize the confusion, I suggest we distinguish
between "normal" criteria and "Mike-style" criteria.

--------------------------- end of repeated text

You seem to be trying to interpret SFC in terms of the tally rules only,
but you can't do that because, unlike "normal" criteria, it involves the
voting strategy too.

In your interpretation of SFC above, I think your supposition 2 should
actually be part of the result. Here is my attempt at it:

SFC: Suppose A >> B. Then partial individual rankings can be completed
in such a manner that no preferences are reversed and candidate B must
be elected with zero probability.

--Russ