[EM] Re: Condorcet package-wvx

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Feb 25 00:51:52 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:01:11 -0800 Russ Paielli wrote:

> Let raise both a practical and a theoretical concern about equal
> rankings in Condorcet voting.
>
> First the practical concern. Think about how an equal-ranking capability
> would would work on a touch-screen voting machine. I've actually
> designed and programmed a full-featured GUI for voting
> (http://ElectionMethods.org/GVI.htm), so I have thought about it a bit.
> My GVI does not allow equal rankings (unless you are using it for
> Approval). The candidates are ranked in the order they are selected
> (with backtrack capability, of course). How would the voter tell the
> machine to rank two candidates equal? The voter would have to press a
> button or do something to indicate that the next selection should be
> made equal to the previous selection. You may consider that simple
> enough, but let me tell you that it would be a *major* sticking point in
> practice. Remember all those brilliant Gore voters in 2000 who couldn't
> figure out how to vote for their candidate in a simple plurality election?

I see you have a different picture.

Mine starts with the paper absentee ballot, where I see no way to move the
names around, and place a box beside each name for the voter to enter
rank.  Trying to make it easy, I say that 2 beats 5, whether or not there
is a rank 3 or 4 between them.

Having got this far, a voter could rank two 3s, which I accept as equal.

Having done as easy as I know how on paper, I find it easy to do the same
thing on touch-screen.

> On the theoretical side, what exactly would an equal-ranking capability
> accomplish? Does it give the voter some significant strategic mechanism,
> or is it simply way for the voter to express indecision? If it's the
> latter, then it is completely unnecessary. If the voter truly rates the
> candidates as precisely equal down to the tenth decimal place, then it
> really shouldn't matter to him which he ranks above the other. If the
> decision is really that difficult, he can flip a coin. Why make the
> system more complicated than it needs to be?

Conceded it complicates the counting, though I do not see that as major.

I see it as decision, rather than indecision, when the voter decides to
rank 2 or more candidates as tied.

We seem unsure whether wv counts =  - if we decide wvx is not worth doing,
seems like we should agree that wv DOES NOT count =.

> --Russ

                  If you want peace, work for justice.