[EM] Re: Approval strategy reply

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 23 02:05:02 PST 2005

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp-at-hotmail.com |EMlist| wrote:

> I´d said:
>
> Many strategies can be related to Weber's strategy of voting for
> candidates with positive strategic value, according to Weber's strategic
> value formula. But that doesn't make them the same strategy, as we've
> been using the term here. Only Russ claims that to vote for whichever of
> the 2 expected frontrunners one prefers to the other, and for everyone
> whom one likes better is the same strategy as voting for all the
> candidates who seem better than the election's expected value--one's
> perceived expectation in the election.

No, that's not what I claim. What I claim is that the "best-frontrunner"
strategy is not necessarily optimal if one or more parties/candidates
has a non-negligible chance of winning.

> Russ replied;
>
> If only two candidates have any chance of winning, then the
> "best-frontrunner" strategy is a corollary of Weber's formula.
>
> I reply:
>
> Corollary of a formula?

 From dictionary.com:

cor·ol·lar·y n. pl. cor·ol·lar·ies

    1. A proposition that follows with little or no proof required from
one already proven.
    2. A deduction or an inference.
    3. A natural consequence or effect; a result.

> Russ, I don´t care whether or not you read my postings. In fact it would
> be better if you didn´t.
> You said that you weren´t going to. What happened to your resolve? But
> if you don´t read them more carefully, then you shouldn´t reply to them.

I had filtered out your messages, but then I switched email clients and
they started coming through again. I decided to keep it that way for a
while at least. I will read your postings whenever I please, and I will
come down on you like a ton of bricks whenever I feel like it. This is
the Wild West, Mike. No rules -- or very few, at least. One of these
days you will realize the you f***ed with the wrong person and you are
in a no-win situation. I have little to lose here, Mike, because this
mailing list is not my "career." I do respect and value the opinion of
at least several persons on this list, but I don't depend on their
acceptance.

> I had just finished saying:  Many strategies can be related to Weber's
> strategy of voting for
> candidates with positive strategic value, according to Weber's strategic
> value formula.

The Best-frontrunner strategy is not just "related" to Weber's Approval
formula. It follows directly and trivially from it. If it was
inconsistent with the formula for all reasonable input sets, it wouldn't
be optimal.

> But the resulting ways of choosing which candidates to vote for are
> different, even though all or most of them can be explained or justified
> in terms of Weber´s strategy method.

I agree competely that one need not use Weber's formula explicitly to
determine a reasonable or even "optimal" vote, depending on the
definition of the word "optimal." However, I claim that a vote cannot be
quantitatively optimal unless it satisfies Weber's formula for some
reasonble set of inputs. Any other "strategy" is essentially an attempt
to make the formula more intuitive for special cases. That's fine, but
don't fool yourself into thinking they are separate strategies unless
they are non-optimal.

> Does that help any?
>
> Do you think you could try again to not reply to my postings? You were
> doing so well for a while.

I really should because I have far more important work to do than reply
to your crap. I will stop here because the rest of your post is
definitely not worth replying to. Let me just say that you don't need to
consider tie probabilities to derive Weber's formula. That just confuses
the issue. I realize that Weber himself did that, but maybe his
derivation wasn't the simplest and most direct. See my previous post for
the link to my derivation. I recognize his contribution, but I don't
worship him. In my line of work these kinds of derivations are
considered almost trivial (and I probably took longer than I should have
to derive it -- especially considering that I knew the end result).