[EM] Theoretical Gerrymandering Solution

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Tue Feb 22 14:56:05 PST 2005

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether there's a good way to do
redristicting or not, because the US Constitution says that a state
legislature can do it however they want, and left to themselves the party in
control of the legislature will avoid at all costs the "best" way to do it
(see Texas, where the incumbent Democrat's district in the heart of urban
Dallas was divided by the Republican legislature into four districsts, some
of which included voters over 300 kilometers removed from the center of the
"district" to ensure that suburban white republicans in San Antonio could
defeat the favorite of urban Dallas.

The simplest way to fix the "gerrymandering" problem would be to pass a
constitutional amendmant that requires congressional districts to be
composed entirely of contiguous "census tracts." Census tracts are
constructed by subdivisions of zipcodes that are defined in such a way as to
optimize the constitutionally-mandated collection of census data.

Now, the "gerrymander-ers" use this cencus data to split the opposition's
districts in such a way that the opposition can never win, and the Supreme
Court uses the same data to determine whether a class of voters is being
institutionally dis-enfranchised.

A constitutional amendment to require congressional districts to be composed
of contiguious whole census tracts would still allow Texas Replucans to
stretch a district from Dallas to San Antonio, but it would not allow them
to split the Dallas voters up into 4 different districts.