[EM] Definitions?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Tue Feb 15 22:07:58 PST 2005

>Would someone post definitions of the uncovered set and the minimal
>dominant
>set? Or links to the definitions? I was probably away from the list when
>those sets were defined on EM.

	Dominant set: A set of candidates such that every candidate inside the
set pairwise-beats every candidate outside the set.
	Minimal dominant set: A dominant set that doesn't contain smaller
dominant sets.
	I believe that you have been calling this the "Smith set", although I
never found out who Smith was, and when he wrote about the minimal
dominant set.

	Here again is the reference to Schwartz's book, where he defines the
minimal dominant set (GeTChA set) along with the union of minimal
undominated sets (GOChA set), and a few others.
	Schwartz, T. (1986). The Logic of Collective Choice. New York: Columbia
University Press.

my best,
James