[EM] Theoretical Gerrymandering Solution

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Mon Feb 14 14:25:22 PST 2005

The problem is that the very decision of how to approach boundaries is
a political decision.  Since Democrats tend to clump together in very
small regions, then having extremely regular shapes (or having areas
that match up to city or county boundaries) can lead to single
districts with a very lopsided Democratic balance, which then can
become a pro-Republican gerrymander.

Unfortunately, the question of what balance of Democrats to Republicans
(to others) the state delegation should reflect is a political
question, too.  If one were to say that the ratio of Democratic
representatives to Republican representatives should basically reflect
the ratio of Democratic voters to Republican voters *statewide*, you'd
probably even have argument on that point.

I think that it's best to focus on a strategy that would lead to the
districts being as *responsive* (competitive) as possible.
Anti-incumbency, as much as possible.  And a method that would have
that as an aim should show how that would be achieved.