[EM] Threat/Promise Approval strategy. Summary of strategies.

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Feb 12 19:01:55 PST 2005

Paul Kislanko kislanko-at-airmail.net |EMlist| wrote:
> At the risk of showing my ignorance again,
>
>>Choice of Approval strategies depends largely on what you prefer to
>>estimate.
>

> Somehow I think there should be a way to label posts that are about
> "strategies that voters should employ for a given election method" as
> opposed to "this election method can be exploited by these strategies".
>
> The same language is used in both cases, so it can be confusing when is
> concerned about the latter but finds the former irrelevant.

You make a good point. The fundamental problem, I think, is semantic:
the word "strategy" is misleading with regard to voting in an Approval
election.

In the context of voting systems, the word "strategy" normally implies
insincerity, but there is really no "insincerity" involved in voting in
an Approval election. Voters never have any incentive to reverse their
preference order. Once a voter decides on a sincere perference order,
the only decision left is where to "draw the line." But that is not
strategy in the sense of insincere manipulation; it is really just
optimization. Deciding where to "draw the line" is a fairly
straightforward optimization problem. One can talk about "optimization
strategy," of course, but in this context the word "strategy" carries
unnecessary baggage that only confuses the issue.

Note that I worded my sentences above carefully (or at least I tried to
do so). I wrote that "there is really no insincerity involved in voting
in an Approval election." That does not mean, however, that insincere
strategy cannot play a role in an Approval election. As I and others
have pointed out in recent posts, any insincere "strategy" in Approval
has to do with how potential voters respond to pre-election polls. That
is where any potential "manipulation" can be done.

The issue of vote optimization in Approval has been analyzed quite
thoroughly, but it doesn't address the question of how an Approval
election can be manipulated. As far as I know, however, the issue of
pre-election poll-response strategy has barely been scratched. As I
wrote before, I am only pointing out a potential pitfall. If it turns
out that the best poll-response strategy is simply to be honest, then
Approval is in great shape. Until we know that, however, the
"effectiveness" of Approval is unknown.

By the way, I realize that one can always fall back on the
"zero-information strategy." That is not a panacea, however, because
then the voter is throwing out all information, which may be too drastic
in many cases. Obviously the "zero-information" guidelines are
ineffective when only two parties are dominant, for example. And when a
third party starts becoming competitive, the point at which only two
parties are still "dominant" could be difficult to ascertain. And that's
precisely where things get interesting.

--Russ