[EM] How to break this tie?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 10 14:45:54 PST 2005

Dear Forest,

you wrote (8 Dec 2004):
> A subset B of candidates is a beat clone set if and only if every member
> of the complement of B that beats any member of B beats all members of B,
> and any member of the complement of B that is beaten by one member of B is
> beaten by all members of B.

In the archieves of this mailing list, beat clone sets are called
"subcycles".

Here, Mike Ossipoff proposes a subcycle rule:
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-June/000494.html
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-June/000532.html
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-July/000572.html

Here, I criticize this subcycle rule for violating Pareto:
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/1997-September/001532.html

Here, Mike Ossipoff proposes another subcycle rule:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1998-June/001721.html

Also this subcycle rule violates Pareto. Therefore, subcycle rules were
not discussed anymore since June 1998.

Markus Schulze