[EM] lying to pollsters (was comparative effectiveness ...)

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 3 23:03:25 PST 2005

Forest Simmons simmonfo-at-up.edu |EMlist| wrote:
>> From: Russ Paielli <6049awj02 at sneakemail.com>

>> So what is the optimal strategy in responding to an Approval poll? Do
>> any or all voters have an incentive to lie about their cutoff point --
>> or perhaps to even rearrange their preference order before drawing the
>> line? And how would such strategy affect convergence if everyone adopted
>> it? Will honest respondents be at a disadvantage?
>>
>> Obviously that question is a lot easier to ask than it is to answer, but
>> I think some sort of answer in necessary before Approval can be fully
>> evaluated.
>>

> I think that the average person would be apt to play up support for his
> favorite and down play support for compromise, and that most folks would
> take this into account when interpreting the polls.

I'd really like to know what the optimal strategy is for replying to a
pre-election Approval poll. If anyone is capable of determining that,
you are probably the one, Mr. Simmons. I suggest you put your capable
mind to it.

Maybe that strategy is just too darn complicated to formulate. Then
again, maybe the optimal strategy in replying to a poll is not much
different from the optimal strategy in the actual election. If that is
the case, then the "disinformation" problem may not be too bad.

> I don't think the problem is with respondents lying so much as with
> private corporate pollsters having conflicts of interest (to some
> degree) and (to a much greater degree) corporate news media selectively
> spinning the results while reporting to the voting public.

That depends on what kind of advantage can be gained by lying to
pollsters. If a significant advantage can be gained, it will be done. If
not, it probably won't. But I sympathize with your concern about
corporate news spin. I can just imagine how fair CBS will be to
Republicans! "Spin" isn't the word for it.

> Better to start with zero info strategy, and build up data, election by
> election.
>
> That's where Condorcet has an advantage over Approval: no lag time.

True, but Condorcet is not on the horizon.

--Russ