[EM] Re: Who first proposed wv

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 11:31:27 PST 2005

Markus--

You said:

Dear Mike,

you wrote (26 Feb 2005):
>But he [= David Gamble] didn't ask who first defined
>the Schulze method. He asked who first proposed the
>wv Condorcet methods. I'd proposed the wv Condorcet
>methods, and wv Condorcet methods were popular, long
>before you joined EM, and long before you defined
>Schulze's method and made it a wv method.

Well, you proposed MinMax(winning votes). But you didn't
propose a general concept that could also be used for
other methods than MinMax.

I reply:

No, in addition to proposing PC and Smith//PC in those days, I also proposed
wv as a general class of methods, and pointed out the advantages conferred
by wv.

The other wv Condorcet versions were proposed later. But I proposed wv as a
general class of methods, and pointed out its advantages and benefits, long
before you joined EM or proposed Schulze's method.

You say that I proposed MinMax, but which MinMax are you saying that I
proposed? There have been several different methods referred to as MinMax. I
suggest that that means that MinMax isn't a very useful name. I'll answer my
own question: The MinMax that you're referring to, and which I proposed in
those days, was PC.

The differences between the various wv methods such as PC, Smith//PC, SSD,
BeatpathWinner/CSSD, RP, and SD, aren't nearly as significant as the
difference betweenb wv and non-wv rank methods.

Mike Ossipoff