[EM] Re: Markus, criteria

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 12:09:20 PST 2005

Markus:

You said:

Dear Mike,

You wrote (26 Feb 2005):
>It isn't that I refused to define WDSC, SDSC & FBC
>without mentioning preferences. It's just that a
>criterion defined in that way would be a different
>criterion. It wouldn't be WDSC, SDSC, or FBC.

You now reply:

So you say that it is impossible to define WDSC, SDSC,
and FBC in terms of cast preferences?

I reply:

Either it´s impossible, or else no one has yet succeeded. Does it matter
which it is? By all means define one if you want to. As I said, I´d be glad
to have such a definitions of my criteria.

You continued:

Then I doubt that
WDSC, SDSC, and FBC are well defined.

I reply:

Obviously that would depend on how you define well-defined. But I didn´t ask
you whether you like the way that my criteria are defined. I asked you
whether or not you can tell the people of an instance of their meaning being
unclear, or an instance of their being ambiguous about whether a method
passes them.

To me, but maybe not to you, a criterion is well-defined if you can´t find
more than one thing that it could mean, and there is something that it
means, and if it isn´t ambiguous about whether a method passes it. Can you
show that one of my criteria is not well-defined by that standard?

You continued:

You wrote (26 Feb 2005):
>However, I graciously and generously invited you to
>define such a criterion if you want to. At no time
>did I say that such a criterion couldn't or shouldn't
>be defined. I just assigned the task to you, since
>you're the one who wants such a criterion.

You reply:

However, whenever someone submitted a definition for
WDSC, SDSC or FBC in terms of cast preferences and
asked you whether his definition corresponds with
your intention of this criterion, you always refused
to answer. So your "invitation" is a fake.

I reply:

You´re beginning to repeat yourself again, Markus. That´s what you always
resort to. Repetition of statements that have already been answered, without
any comment on why you think the answer is wrong.

When someone has submitted a definition of WDSC, SDSC, FBC, SFC or GSFC, in
terms of"cast preferences" (votes as opposed to preferences), and asked me
whether his definition is equivalent with my criteria, I have never refused
to answer. I´ve always answered, and the answer was always "No", except for
one instance in which I said that I didn´t know.

In that instance where I didn´t know if someone´s criteion was equivalent to
FBC, I pointed out, however, that due to non-equivalence of other attempts,
there was no reason to believe that that one particular criterion was
equivalent to mine either. In any case, that criterion whose equivalence to
FBC wasn´t know, was written so as to be entirely unusable with the public,
or with most people anywhere.

Discussing with you is like this: