[EM] Alex reply

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:34:01 PST 2005

I'd said:

>Again, Rob L., Russ is posting something that has no bearing on EM´s topic.

Alex replied:

Did you hear the one where the pot said to the kettle "Hey, you're black!"?

I reply:

Alex, are you aware that your posting to which I'm not replying is
off-topic, because it isn't about voting systems?

Yes, it's justifiable to post to complain about objectionable postings.

But you're missing something: I haven't been posting messages that are
entirely about another list-member.

Just as your posting was off-topic, likewise some of my postings got
off-topic when they commented on postings that were about me. But, as I
said, I didn't choose to be the topic.

Here's how it works: If I comment on a voting system statement that Russ has
made, Russ reacts with the frothing, raving anger that prompted you to post.
But do you really believe that I'm responsible for those angry posts because
I commented on voting system statements? This list is about voting systems.
I should be able to reply to statements about voting systems without having
you post to blame me when someone else goes frothing, raving mad as a
result, and posts messages that are 100% off-topic.

You know, if Russ does his namecalling without continuing to escalate it, it
will just sound like repetition, and it won't give him satisfaction. It's
obvious that as long as he does it, he'll continue escalating it. And the
worse it gets, presumably the more you'll blame me for it.

So, when I comment on voting system statements, and yes, even about some by
Russ, and he escalates his off-topic raving even more than he has so far,
will there come a time when you  quit trying to imply that it's symmetrical
no-fault, and say "Enough, Russ", or a time when he finally manages to get
himself kicked off the list? Who knows. But if he continues his behavior,
continuing to escalate it, I guess we'll find out. Is there any off-topic
behavior that can get someone kicked off EM, or that can get you to call one
person on the behavior, and their entirely off-topic postings?

Mike Ossipoff