[EM] Approval strategy at Russ´s website

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 07:12:37 PST 2005

What Russ refers to as Weber´s Approval formula, or the Approval formula,
actuallly describes the Better-Than-Expectation strategy that Forest defined
a long time ago on EM. It was demonstrated on EM that, as I´ve said, by some
reasonable approximations, Better-Than-Expectation becomes the same as the
strategy method that actually was described by Weber, the strategy of voting
for candidates whose strategic value is positive, using Weber´s strategic
value formula.

Weber´s strategic value formula is different from what is at Russ´s website.

Most agree that the use of Better-Than-Expectation won´t involve calculating
your expectation based on all the candidates´win-probabilities and their
utilities. Rather, the convenient way to use Better-Than-Expectation is to
simply ask if a particular candidate is better than what you expect from the
election. Is that candidate so good that you´d rather have him/her in office
rather than holding the election? If so, then vote for him/her.

As I said, it was demonstrated on EM that, with a few reasonable
approximations, and when your estimated expectation is the same as that
calculated from the candidates´ Pi  and their utilities as perceived by you,
Better-Than-Expectation results in the same Approval ballot as does Weber´s
strategy of voting for the candidates with positive strategic value.

I wrote a demonstration of that, for 4 candidates, at Russ´s website.

Better than expectation is one of the Approval strategies that I listed in
my recent posting about the choce between Approval strategies.

Mike Ossipoff