[EM] SARC

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 10:20:32 PST 2005

SARC is defined at the website that has my definitions:

http://barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/sing.html

But let me state its definition here:

If a group of voters vote who share the same preferences, and are voting the
same way, vote in a way that isn´t dominated by any other way of voting,
then the fact that they voted should never cause their last choice to win or
cause their first choice to lose, if that wouldn´t have happened if they´d
not voted.

[end of SARC definition]

For a particular voter, strategy S dominates strategy T if there´s a
possible configuration of other people´s ballots for which that voter would
prefer the result of his voting S to the result of his voting T, but there´s
no possible configuration of other people´s ballots for which that voter
would prefer the result of his voting T to the result of his voting S.

[end of definition]

SARC stands for Strong Adverse Results Criterion. I used to refer to
Participation and a few weaker relatives of it as adverse results criteria.
I wanted a stronger one.

SARC is related to FBC. So far as I´m aware, Approval and CR are the only
methosd that meet FBC or SARC. Approval and CR meet both of those, but I
don´t know of any other method that even meets one of those 2 criteria.