[EM] Re: Black box election method tests--Is it possible?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 06:48:40 PST 2005

>Which of the
>criteria, if any, require knowledge of the internals of the counting
>method used?

Criteria should mention only a voting systems results, and not its rules.

Nearly all of the criteria that we use are purely results-criteria, not
rules criteria.

But sometimes we hear of a rules-criterion. For instance, sometimes someone
criticizes Approval because it doesn´t meet their requirement for "one
person one vote" (opov). opov is a rules criterion that says that a voter
should only be able to vote for one candidate. Presumably all rank methods
likewise violate opov. Or maybe opov advocates would only disallow methods
that let people vote several candidates equal. That determination would need
a precise statement of opov.

I asked the opov advocates to justify opov in terms of other criteria, or in
terms of a widely-accepted fundamental standard. They never did.

Some other criteria are defined as rules criteria. For instance, someone, at
their website, defines Condorcet´s Criterion in such a way that it applies
only to rank-balloting methods. That makes his Condorcet´s Criterion a rules
criterion. My definition of Condorcet´s Criterion doesn´t mention methods´
rules.

I claim that there´s no place for rules criteria. Criteria should mention
only a method´s results.

Mike Ossipoff