[EM] Iterative quota voting

Jim & Mary Ronback Jim_Ronback at dccnet.com
Mon Feb 7 21:44:07 PST 2005

Iterative Quota Voting

I am very uncomfortable with complexity of the process used for
transferring surplus marks of the candidates in the STV counting
process. That counting process is very difficult for most voters to
follow. In BC they could easily be swayed to vote against BC-STV on 17
May 2005 even though it is a big improvement over First Past The Post.
Thus I was inspired to propose a different and simpler counting method
which avoids fractions and incorporates some aspects of approval voting.
For lack of a better name, it is called "iterative quota voting" (IQV).
Perhaps it resembles some existing voting methods already, but since I'm
new to this endeavour, it may be old hat to some of you.

So here it goes:
Voters can mark their ballots preferentially from 1 up to N for any of C
candidates vying for N seats.  The preference numbers on the ballot have
to start at 1. The numbers should have no gaps, but repetitions are
allowed, e.g., two or more candidates may have the same number. This
latter feature provides a notion of approval voting, if  more than one
candidate is acceptable at a given preference level to a given voter. He
can only put one mark against a given candidate.
For round r,
The quota Qr = ((Mr/Cr)/(Nr+1)) +1 where
Mr is the number of marks (labeled 1 through r, including repetitions)
for the remaining candidates on all the ballots
Cr is the number of candidates remaining
Nr is the number of vacant seats remaining
Note: the quota at each round is based on counting the marks on all the
ballots, not the number of ballots.

Once a candidate has exceeded the quota at a given round, as a voter,
all I'm concerned about is that the remaining marks ("1" to "number of
round") for the remaining candidates on my, and everyone else's, ballot
are counted at full value on the subsequent rounds. Once candidates have
been selected, i.e., passed the quota, the next round can be considered
as a brand new election for the remaining seats using a new quota.

Once a candidate(s)' count has passed the quota, all marks ("1" up to
"N") against their name(s) are excluded on the next round. Thus for
round two, a new quota is calculated based on the number of remaining
seats and number of candidates left and the total numbers of marks
labeled "1" and "2" on all the ballots for these remaining candidates.
Those candidates whose count of "1's" and "2's" exceed the new quota are
elected and all their marks are excluded in the next round and a new
quota is calculated based on the number of remaining seats, the
remaining candidates left and the total number of marks labeled "1", "2"
and "3" for the remaining candidates. And so on, until all the seats are
filled.

Could this still be considered a variant of iterative approval voting or
is it something else? I think it is fair since it ensures that at each
round, all marks ("1" through "number of round")  for each remaining
candidate are counted at full value. This process would be simpler to
explain to the voters, since it avoids fractions and there are a fewer
number of decisions in the process.  Once all the seats have been filled
by round r <= y, any marks labeled "y+1" or greater are no longer
needed, except to record the number and value of the marks the losers
obtained. Those marks (1 to y >=  last round +1) which belong to the
losers, after all the seats have been filled, have no further influence
on those who already were elected. Votes that really "count" in
selecting winners have not been discarded. No ballots have been
discarded in the counting process.

Each mark on all the ballots is considered at full value at a given
round like in approval voting, as opposed to the STV process a voter's
ballot has only the total weight of one vote equal to 1, no matter how
many preferences he marks on his ballot. Thus his vote may be divided
into two fractions, one for the winner of the round and passing a
fractional surplus of his one vote to the other preferences on his
ballot. In the IQV approach,  a voter has  up to N votes of equal
weight  but  these votes are only  progressively counted  at each round
based on their preference value.

It would be interesting to see how results based on this approach would
differ from BC-STV results.

We should not underestimate the power of simplicity in being able to
convince the voter of the merits of a counting process which is easy to
visualize. The counting process should be simply enough that the
majority of voters/ scrutineers can easily do it manually (especially
whenever electrical power is not available for computers).

Yours democratically,

Jim Ronback
Tsawwassen, BC

PS Comments would be appreciated for my edification.