[EM] "summability"

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 6 23:58:44 PST 2005

Folks,

On the old "Technical Evaluation" page of ElectionMethods.org, I had a
criterion that I called "summability," which I defined as follows:

"Each vote should map onto a summable array, where the summation
operation is associative and commutative, and the winner should be
determined from the array sum for all votes cast."

The point was that plurality, Approval, and Condorcet all pass but IRV
fails. Well, after further consideration, I realized that IRV actually
passes too -- it just needs a much larger "array."

Rather than putting an arbitrary size limit on the array, I decided to
take a different approach. Instead of defining a formal "criterion," I
simply explained the practical problem with IRV. I spent most of the
weekend on the darn thing, but I think it drives a spike through the
heart of IRV.

You can see the result at http://ElectionMethods.org/IRVintegrity.htm .
Please read it if you get a chance and let me know what you think. Thanks.

--Russ