[EM] Correlated Instant Borda Runoff, without Borda

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sun Dec 25 18:41:21 PST 2005

All true.

We were, in fact, talking about a science fiction short story written in the
1950s. The very idea of figuring out how to correlate such data has been a
thorny problem for AI researchers going even farther back.

But when I talked about the positives, part of it was serious. Exactly how
different is "the candidate might guess how the voters feel about all the
issues and fill out his ballot that way" than "the candidate might guess how
the voters feel about all the issues and tell them on TV that he feels the
same way"?

In the (fantasy) the process is double-blind - the candidates don't know who
the voters are and the voters don't have to put up with candidates.

But, it was and is a fantasy. Didn't mean for anybody to take it seriously
(but Asimov's short story is a good one that has held up remarkably well for
1950s-era science fiction).