[EM] Correlated Instant Borda Runoff, without Borda

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Dec 24 12:38:07 PST 2005

At 04:39 PM 12/23/2005, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>Awhile back Dave Gamble and I speculated off-list that the "best" election
>method would have each candidate fill out an extensive questionaire, and
>have each voter fill out the same questionaire. Then a computer program
>would find the best correlation between voters' answers and candidates'
>answers.

Even if "best correlation" could be reasonably defined, what this
would be doing is creating an election system where the candidate who
can best anticipate the electorate's responses and thus provide the
winning match on the questionaire is the one elected.

What is totally lost is the decision of the electorate on whom to
*trust*, which is, indeed, the central question in government, not
"issues" per se.

Once we see that, it's also easy to see why Asset Voting, delegable
proxy, or similar systems are so attractive. In Asset Voting, the
only question the voter need answer in the voting booth is "whom do I
trust?" And Asset Voting *could*, in some implementations, allow
voters to choose, quite simply, *whomever* they trust.

(This could create problems with voter security, where secret ballot
is considered necessary; but there are solutions to this problem;
while they necessarily place small restrictions on the voter's
freedom, they would make it much more difficult to divine a
particular voter's vote from the election results.)

>This has the distinct advantage that there would be no advertising,
>campaigning, or opportunities for special interests to try to sway the
>election.

The problem is not special interests trying to sway the election, the
problem is that the largest special interest group of all is not
organized and is therefore vulnerable to influence and manipulation
from smaller, less wealthy, but more organized interests. (A
billionaire is less wealthy.) The solution to this problem is not
going to be found in an election method, per se, though, along the
way, election methods might be drastically improved.