[EM] Approval Voting elections don't always have an equilibrium

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Dec 24 14:33:02 PST 2005

I am definitely not intending an argument but once again we've hit upon how
slippery the language can be without proper context.

In physical sciences, "there are 11 equilibria" would be expressed as there
is no "equilibrium but there are 11 stable solutions to the system." Perhaps
"never the twain shall meet", but it would be nice if the vocabulary were
cross-discipline.

The way Nash defined a "Nash equilibrium" there can be more than one, which
is part and parcel of the difficulties social scientists have. Chemists
faced with a reaction that beuatifully changes the container of a flask from
blue-on-top and red-on-bottom to red-on-top and blue-on-bottom describe an
"oscillating equilibrium". Mathemations would call it a bifurcation.

I think my point (if I had one) was that we should be careful about how we
use terms. A "Nash equilibrium" is defined in terms of strategies and
counter-strategies. It is not an inherent attribute of any voting method. By
Nash's definitions if there are well-defined game-players voting as blocs
then one or more Nash equilibria can be established regardless of the
counting method (I think it has been written here that someone has proven
that).

Thanks for the wishes, and the same to all!

  _____