[EM] Approval Voting elections don't always have an equilibrium

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Sat Dec 24 14:10:57 PST 2005

On 12/24/05, Paul Kislanko <kislanko at airmail.net> wrote:

> Rob Brown wrote: I'm a little curious, since you seem to talk about
> multiple voters switching their vote together....maybe this really
> represents a situation where there are multiple equilibriums, as opposed to
> no equilibriums?"
>
> On the surface, "multiple equilibria" is kind of an oxymoron, but the
> notion may be made precise.

Hmmm, aside from my glaring error in pluralizing "equilibrium" :) .... I'm
pretty sure that the concept of equilibrium allows there to be more than
one.

For instance Nash's famous proof is that there is *at least* one Nash
equilibrium for certain well defined types of games:

In this article they give an example where there are 11 equilibria:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium

 Anyway, as we approach the end of another Western calendar year, may I take
> this opportunity to wish everyone well.

Likewise, and have a Merry Christmas as well if you celebrate such a thing.
:)

-rob