[EM] Correlated Instant Borda Runoff, without Borda

Ken Kuhlman ken at redlagoon.net
Fri Dec 23 06:37:44 PST 2005

It was me who proposed CIBR back in early June, and to make a long
story short, your first method is a perfect reflection of my current
thoughts.   But yours is more formally defined & thus better.

I had tried for a while this summer to come up with a "grand
unification theory" by combining the idea of correlation with a
Nanson-Fishburn-like approach, but the math got beyond me.   After an
embarrassing failure, I gave up & started working on an EM test bed
application so I could catch more of my own mistakes.  Unfortunately,
I've been too busy with my real job to make any progress in the last
couple of months, but it's great to see that interest in the impact of
correlated candidates hasn't died off.

In my (obviously biased) opinion, correlation is a solid idea that's
just waiting for a good advocate.  Candidate similarity is important,
and ballots have all the information you need to measure it--you just
have to be willing to gather more information than the pairwise
matrix.

thanks,
-Ken

PS:  I had a conjecture that the pairwise matrix & independence matrix
combined contained enough information to re-construct the original
ballots (assuming fully ranked ballots).    Would anyone be interested
in evaluating it?  I could easily be embarrassingly wrong again, but
if not, it would be pretty exciting...