[EM] range voting fix try #2 by Rob Brown

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Fri Dec 9 13:33:04 PST 2005

On 12/9/05, Warren Smith <wds at euclid.math.temple.edu> wrote:

> this whole idea, including the fact that it can lead to perpetual cycling,
> and other versions of this idea (this is related to "declared strategy
> voting")
> have already been discussed on the RV bulletin board.

I think the perpetual cycling problem is quite solvable, if not solved in my
most recent post.

> My suggestion is to join that bulletin board insetad of reinventing the
> wheel.

Sorry, I'm a reinventor by nature.  Just as I could never get good at golf
only by watching good golfers, I can't get better at inventing by just
looking at others' inventions. :)  I know it bugs people, but hey, I do have
an original idea here and there.  (You don't have to read my stuff if you
aren't interested in watching me work through all this stuff)

BTW, I'm still waiting for your response my description of how range voting
is subject to vote splitting, and about how Duvergers law would apply to
Range just as it would plurality.  (in particular I'd hope you'd look
closely at my 2000 presidential election example)  Nor has the Range voting
camp addressed why they reject the basic tenets of economics and game theory
(i.e. people tend to independently pursue their own self interest, and
systems optimized for people doing this tend to be the most stable).  Till I
hear satisfactory answers for these, I don't expect to be joining a bulliten
board dedicated to one election method that I am convinced is supremely
broken.