[EM] Updated article

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Fri Dec 23 00:04:12 PST 2005

I updated my little article at http://karmatics.com/voting/movienite.html

It's a good bit longer now, but still aims for relatively short and sweet.
The idea is to show people exactly what bad things plurality does (force
people into opposing factions) and how it can be fixed.  I use approval
voting as an intermediate method, not because I am a big fan of approval,
but because it think it is the simplest way to solve the main problem with
plurality. Then I try to show how ranked methods can solve the one problem
that still exists with approval (that, to vote effectively, you have to know
how others will vote).

Again, this is aimed at the Joe Sixpacks of the world that really don't want
to think too much about the math, but if presented with a simple and obvious
explanation of what is wrong and how it can be fixed, might just get on
board the election reform train.

I'm interested in feedback....

-rob