[EM] two "new" hybrid approval-ranking methods by Brams & Sanver

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Sun Dec 11 07:39:47 PST 2005

Hello list

I haven't been paying much attention to this list lately.  I recently
received a private e-mail from Chris Benham suggesting that I should look at the
following paper by Brahms and Sanver

_http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/faculty/brams/approval_preference.pdf_
(http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/politics/faculty/brams/approval_preference.pdf)

I was surprised to find that the PAV (preference approval voting) method
described is identical to something called Ranked Approval that I posted to this
list 18 months ago.

_http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-Ju
ne/013322.html_
(http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-June/013322.html)

I went off this method because of its vulnerability to strategic voting and
later no harm failures.

Take the following example under Ranked Approval/preference approval  voting:

41: A
44: B>A
5: C>B
10: C

A is the only candidate approved by a majority of voters and therefore the
winner.

If the 44 B>A voters approve only B the votes are now:

41: A
44: B
5: C>B
10: C

and B is the winner as the most approved candidate.

David Gamble