[EM] FW: Recent History Perspective on Condorcet Methods

Adam Tarr ahtarr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:02:33 PDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Ken Kuhlman <kskuhlman at gmail.com> wrote:

Do you know where I can find examples of these performance
> differences? Specifically re: beatpath vs ranked pairs. I haven't
> been able to find anything on the wiki.

Steve Eppeley has a version of Ranked Pairs called "maximize affirmed
majorities", and he compares it to Schulze's method in detail here:

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/Comparison%20of%20MAM%20and%20PathWinner.htm

Why has Woodall's "symmetric completion" not garnered more attention
> as a method for handling truncated ballots? Is there an argument
> against it? I've been trying to study the idea that ballots can be
> used to determine the relatedness of the candidates, and symmetric
> completion is such an obvious idea from that perspective that I have a
> hard time understanding the value of the "margins/winning votes"
> debate.

"symmetric completion" = margins, in all ways. They are precisely
equivalent. It has all the pretty mathematical properties, and associated
drastic strategic burying needs, that margins does. Winning votes is a
separate animal, and allows for less drastic strategy.