[EM] RE: reason #17

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Tue Aug 30 19:15:22 PDT 2005

To the message from T.S. copied below, I would like to give a little more background.

A few months after I came up with the idea of bubble sorting the approval order, I came across an article at

http://www10.org/cdrom/papers/577/

in which the authors suggested bubble sorting the Borda order and various other social orders (but did not mention approval).  They called the process "local Kemenization."

As near as I know Kevin Venzke was the first to suggest the method of eliminating candidates from the bottom of the approval list until a Condorcet winner emerges relative to the remaining candidates.  He offered the first proof that this candidate had to be a member of the original Smith set.

It is easy to see that this winner W is the same as the MinMax(total approval) winner, who by definition is the candidate whose defeater X with greatest approval is lowest on the approval list, i.e. any candidate other than W is defeated by somebody with greater approval than X.

It seems that all Condorcet roads lead to DMC.

Forest