[EM] Proposal to change Wikipedia Arbitration Committee to first-past-the-post

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Aug 15 14:17:30 PDT 2005

At 05:54 PM 8/14/2005, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>Sadly, it appears as though there's a proposal to change the Wikipedia
>Arbitration Committee election method from Approval to First Past The
>Post:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2005/Proposed_modifications_to_rules

What they should really consider is either delegable proxy or the
peer-member equivalent, Asset Voting, and FAAV is really the simplest form.
Even Asset voting with only one vote allowed would be a great method....

(DP produces assembly members with unequal voting power. Asset Voting
allows a redistribution of votes to produce assembly members with equal
voting power. DP is suitable in direct democracies (and suitable
participation rules can address the problem of scale which is normally
raised as the bugaboo in direct democracy), Asset Voting can produce a
single peer assembly of a defined size in which every member is
represented. DP is suitable in open structures, where votes are visible;
Asset Voting (or a secret-ballot DP equivalent, as described on the
electorama wiki) for a more traditional representative assembly created
through secret ballot.

FAAV (Fractional Approval Asset Voting) and 0/1 Asset Voting are both
extremely simple to understand and to implement.

I really think they have not received the attention due to them. Mr. Smith,
the inventor of Asset Voting, is focusing on Range, which I think is not
nearly as good as Asset Voting (Asset is actually Range with a post
election deliberative phase where votes can be reassigned; and then FAAV
reduces the choices to Approval, but leaves the critical deliberative phase
where the votes are redistributed. This is perfect for an assembly intended
to be maximally representative.)