[EM] 2-party systems are not democracies

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Aug 15 14:03:13 PDT 2005

At 12:22 PM 8/14/2005, Warren Smith wrote:
>I disagree with the claim they are.  Democracy is about
>choice by the voters.

Actually, voting is only one device used in a democracy, and not the most
important factor. The most important factor is the consent of the governed.

Elections can actually act against this, whenever the system
disenfranchises the minority. "Majority rule" is an important democratic
principle, but not when applied within an oligarchical structure that only
provides a very limited choice at very limited times.

Direct democracy is true democracy. Representative democracy, as
implemented in the U.S., is actually pretty far from that. Because of the
structure, a small plurality, broadly distributed, can end up with all the
representatives. It usually does not get quite that bad, but it can.

"No taxation without representation." Okay, who is *my* representative?
That guy? But I did not vote for him, he may be *your* representative, he
is not *mine.*

If there were no alternative, we might think this simply the least evil of
the alternatives. But there is an alternative, and it is not new.

Asset voting, used to create a PR assembly, for example, would produce
nearly full representation. Delegable Proxy not only would produce full
representation but would also create a system in which the citizen would
know exactly who represented him or her *and* vice-versa. In other words,
representatives would actually be *representatives*. Not office-holders.....