[EM] encourage dishonesty / range / WDS reply to robla

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Aug 12 08:04:26 PDT 2005

Warren,

--- Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu> a écrit :
> In IRV it often is not the case that the best strategy is to exaggerate
> and rank the 2 perceived frontrunners max and min.

Of course, one never needs to insincerely rank one frontrunner "min" under IRV.

>  But nevertheless it
> sometimes is the case, and a lot of members of Joe Public will do it
> regardless of what the best strategy is.  If enough members of Joe
> Public do this, then 3rd parties can never win under IRV.
> I conjectured that this was the reason, or at least part of the reason,
> that IRV countries are 2-party dominated just like plurality.
>
> Now the above paragraph is completely true if everywhere you see the word IRV
> you substitute the word "Condorcet Method", except for the caveat that there are
> no Condorcet countries.  This suggests to me, but does not fully convince me,
> that the exact same thing would happen under Condorcet.  This is an important question.

I agree that the above paragraph is still true if you replace "IRV" with
"Condorcet," and that it's an important question.

However, at least when voters *are* more sincere than not, Schulze(wv) (for
example) is more likely to identify the median candidate than IRV is, and gives
less actual incentive to vote insincerely than IRV does.

I'd prefer a rank method under which it is *never* the best strategy to
rank one frontrunner "max." I gather you're aware of Ossipoff's "favorite betrayal"
criterion. It seems to me that when this criterion is satisfied, and it is
explained to the voters, then not only will the voters not have incentive to
rank one frontrunner "max," it also won't be quite as urgent for the frontrunners
to ensure that the voters rank one frontrunner "max."

In short, voters could then always vote at least as sincerely as under Approval.

Kevin Venzke