[EM] Re: Juho: strategy

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 23:43:48 PDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 13:15, James Green-Armytage wrote:

>> I have written on practical election situations since it seemed to me
>> that that area has not been covered sufficiently on this mailing list.
>
> 	You'll have to define "practical"

With practical election situations simply referred to the large public
elections that have been discussed in this mail stream (there are also
others). This is an election type where many strategies are not so easy
to apply. US presidential elections are a special case of this generic
category of elections. This "large public" category is of course a
quite central category in real life.

Another type of election would be for example this election methods
community arranging weekly elections (and daily test elections before
the main election) on which one of a certain set of candidate election
methods is the best. Negotiations trading with the elections of the
following weeks would be allowed. I'm sure people would try every
available strategy. Vulnerability to strategies would in this case be
much more probable than in the large public election case (because of
the expertise of the voters, small community, test elections, small
"parties" that could negotiate their tactics, ability to make deals
with enemies behind the screens, small number of candidates, known
preferences of many voters).

> 	Uncertain information is what makes the strategy problem in margins so
> bad. If information was certain, then the CW would be known, and this
> would simplify things somewhat. But if the true CW is not known, then
> both
> sides have a potential incentive to bury, which is what leads us to
> disaster.

Uncertainty has also some positive effects. If strategies lead to
unexpected and unwanted results, then it is easy to tell voters that
they should not try to vote strategically since that probably makes
their situation worse, not better. This is closely related to the
general very basic (non strategical) observation about Condorcet
methods that voter whose sincere opinion is A>B>C>D need not vote
A>C>D>B (to make the situation of the other strong candidate B worse)
since that change doesn't make the A>B preference any stronger.

> Sincere preferences as known by voters (Dem-Rep contest uncertain),
> with
> utilities
> 46/44?: Dem >> Rep > wrestler (100, 5, 0)
> 44/46?: Rep >> Dem > wrestler (100, 5, 0)
> 5: wrestler >> Dem > Rep (100, 20, 0)
> 5: wrestler >> Rep > Dem (100, 20, 0)

Maybe this attitude ("my candidate is good, others not good at all") is
common among people. Maybe one could assume that in some elections
(e.g. when there is only one candidate from each party) even if the
voters wouldn't be given the chance to mark ratings in the ballots.

> 	Game matrix. Payoffs expressed as (Rep, Dem)
>
> 			Dems bury			Dems don't bury
> Reps bury		wrestler wins (0, 0)	Rep wins (100, 5)
> Reps don't bury	Dem wins (5, 100)	pairwise winner wins (52.5, 52.5 on
> average)
>
> 	As far as I know, this game is called "chicken". Can you tell me how
> people will vote, and who will win? I don't think that I can tell you
> who
> will win, but I think that the wrestler has a pretty good shot.

Sounds like some game theoretic situation where both using the strategy
may lead to a catastrophe to both but one applying it may lead to
benefits. It is difficult to say to what kind of behaviour this leads
to. I'm hoping that the risks would be stronger than the benefits and
as a result people would avoid strategic voting. I'm not sure though.

People are also social creatures, and if the community encourages
sincere voting, most people will follow that (which is enough to
eliminate many strategies). Alternatively most voters would go for
strategic voting, but that situation of the society would then be known
to all.

Note that natural loops are not common in elections and artificial
(=strategically created) loops are not that easy to generate. In the
"no loop" situations Condorcet methods are quite immune to strategies
and sensible people would vote sincerely. Maybe this would encourage
sincere voting as a rule in the society.

Wrestler supporters' strategies are also interesting. They have
different interests depending on which of the D/R strategic voting
scenarios takes place. Complex mixture of strategic voting could lead
to electing the "sincere winner".

>> Making all the democrats understand the burying strategy requires also
>> systematic teaching,
>
> 	Not necessarily. Imagine a Bush>>Kerry>John Doe voter, who marginally
> prefers Kerry over John Doe but hugely prefers Bush over Kerry. Kerry
> is
> obviously the main competition to Bush. Isn't there something
> instinctively unattractive about ranking Kerry in second place? I think
> so. Even if you don't understand the method at all, instinct can be to
> do
> as much harm as possible to the main rival to your favorite viable
> candidate.

You almost give the generic simple rule (as an alternative to party or
press led strategies) for normal voters that I asked for. The rule
could be "put the serious competitors last in the ballot". This rule
could help in some situations but maybe (hopefully) it would still
bring more harm than benefits if used by people who don't know when it
is likely to bring results.

Btw, it would be good to get some estimates on how probable it is that
this kind of basic strategies make the results better/worse (when
applied without coordination and without good understanding about the
preferences of the voters). Note also that the strategy where people
intentionally create a loop between the candidates of a competing party
is quite risk free and from this perspective more problematic than the
burial type that we are discussing here.

>> Maybe they will stop voting, or maybe they
>> would campaign for some other voting method than Condorcet to be used,
>
> 	Or perhaps a more strategy-resistant variant such as CWP or AWP?

Yes, that is also possible, especially if experts tell that that would
help.

> It's
> probability of improvement times strength of improvement minus
> probability
> of harm times strength of harm

Yes, this is a valid formula.

> Of course, in an election with a large number of voters, the change in
> probabilities would not be anywhere near so large, but you should get
> the
> idea anyway.

Yes. In large elections this probably means that you and a considerable
number of people who share your opinions will vote in the described way
to achieve the results.

If there are three candidates with exactly equal amount of support it
is probably too difficult to guess the direction of the cycle and
correct strategy (there is  no weak candidate that could be used to
bury a strong candidate).

> However, after I proposed CWP and AWP, Chris
> Benham took up the idea of a margins version of both, and I haven't
> been
> able to talk him out of the "approval margins" method as yet. I could
> dig
> up some of my postings on the subject if you like...

I can make some mail searches. Not too many mails on this topic yet.

> Smith-efficient
> methods have some extremely significant advantages over all other
> methods

Smith-minmax excluded or included? I.e. is Smith efficiency the exact
criterion here?

> they should
> each be assumed to be guilty of extreme strategic vulnerability until
> proven innocent

Fatal strategic vulnerability is of course a show stopper, but it
appears not to be easy to tell which threats are fatal in real life.

> The problem with margins is that
> the relatively stable counterstrategies like the WV one mentioned above
> don't serve to deter it.

But here I make some probabilistic calculations on how many people
would be able to apply the correct strategies, and how likely these
strategies would be needed, and how likely it is that they would cause
harm, and thereby make difference between margins and WV significant. I
put also some weight to the sincerity of margins (maybe more because of
the psychological effects of than because of the fact that it sometimes
would elect a better candidate).

>> In those voting methods one could get some strategy defence benefits
>> also with sincere votes (that you could also call an "unintentional
>> counterstrategy").
>
> 	Yes! That's one of the best things about cardinal pairwise. Sincere
> ratings very strongly tend to make burying strategies unprofitable.

Agreed. Sincere votes are much better than the need to apply strategies.

Best Regards,
Juho