[EM] Re: More thoughts on approval margins

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:11:35 PDT 2005

On 15 Apr 2005 at 16:03 UTC-0700, Monkey Puzzle wrote:
> I think I'm getting the sieve idea into better focus now.  Is the
> following method is equivalent to Approval Sorted Margins?
>
> Ranked ballots with approval cutoff.
>
> Strong defeat = pairwise defeat by higher-approved candidate
>
> Strong losers = set of all strongly defeated candidates
>
> Provisional set = set of non-strongly-defeated candidates
>    Each provisional winner defeats all higher-approved members of the set.
>    This is Forest's "P" set.  Convenient that Provisional starts with
> P, isn't it? ;-)

New definition:

Clear upward defeat of X by Y:
   Y has lower approval than X, but pairwise defeats X and is not
   defeated by any other candidate with approval in between theirs.

> Marginal defeat: Pairwise defeat of provisional candidate X by strong
> loser Y under these conditions:
>     (1)    Z = the least-approved provisional winner who strongly defeats Y.
>     (2)   Approval(X) - Approval(Y) < Approval(Z) - Approval(X)
>     TODO:  Need a more succinct description of this.

Revised definition of marginal defeat:

   (1) Y has a clear upward defeat over X
   (2) Z defeats Y and is the least-approved candidate with greater
       approval than X.
   (3) Approval(X)-Approval(Y) < Approval(Z)-Approval(X)

The last part of the definition is the definition of secondary defeat
strength.  Here I use approval margin, but any measure, such as
winning votes, AWP's strong preference votes, etc., could be used.

--
araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com