[EM] Re: IRV bill on Washington State Governor's desk

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:00:47 PDT 2005

On 16 Apr 2005 at 20:04 UTC-0700, James Green-Armytage wrote:
> Hi Ted, That's pretty interesting. I think that the direct link to the bill is
> here:
> http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=1447&year=2005
> http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2005-06/Htm/Bills/House%20Bills/1447.htm
> 	It looks to me like it is quite specific to IRV. The title of the bill is
> "Establishing a pilot project to examine the use of instant runoff voting
> for nonpartisan offices."

I sent a message to the legislator.  He said it took him 6 years to
get this small little bill passed so that Vancouver, Washington's
charter amendment (of 1998? 99?) would become legal, and he was tired
of attempting to get the rest of the house to understand what he
wanted to do.  He wished me luck with alternatives.

> Araucaria Araucana <araucaria.araucana at gmail.com> writes:
>>http://www.komotv.com/stories/36271.htm
>>http://www.oregonlive.com/metronorth/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/metro_north_news/1113472928308700.xml
>>Note the last line of the 2nd link.  The reporter ended with the
>>comment that single-vote is easier to count.  That seems to be the
>>anti-IRV establishment line.
>>I don't know the specifics of the bill.  It apparently sets up a 5
>>year study by the office of the sec'y of state on alternative voting
>>methods in local elections.
>>IRV currently has more publicity, but if other voting systems are
>>allowed, this could be an opportunity for a Condorcet-based method.
>>The web page for the state rep sponsoring the bill is
>>    http://www1.leg.wa.gov/house/moeller
>>and an email link is provided.
>>

> ----

araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com