[EM] James--Your example shows that my claim wasn't correct

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Apr 14 22:25:34 PDT 2005

James replying to Mike...

>You asked why I'd say that the supporters of some candidate A can't steal
>the election for A by offensive order-reversal unless A is the sincere
>Plurality winner. Good question. I said it because I was only considering
>examples in which the CW, B, is between A and C, in the following sense:
>Everyone who prefers A to C prevers B to C. Everyone who prefers C to A
>prefers B to A.
>If a CW is between the other 2 c andidates in a 3-candidate example, I
>call
>that CW a "middle CW".
>So tha;t's why I made the claim that I made: I was only considering
>examples
>in which the CW is a middle CW.
>My guarantee about A needeing to be sincere Plurality winner, in order
>for
>the offensive order-reversal to succeed holds then. I don't know if it
>holds
>in every spatial example. If so, that would be a good thing to find out.
>Does anyone know?

	My earlier example could probably be conceived of as a spatial model in
three dimensions, but perhaps you would like one in two dimensions as
well. So, here goes. I'm not too familiar with doing explicitly spatial
examples, so please bear with me if it's a bit clunky.
	Imagine that there are 101 evenly spaced points, marked sequentially from
0 to 100. Thus, there are 100 intervals between the points. There are 100
voters, with one on each interval. All voters rank candidates who are
closer to them above those who are further away. The candidates themselves
are located on the following points: