[EM] Siimpson-Kramer definition

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 14 08:06:49 PDT 2005

Curt,

--- Curt Siffert <siffert at museworld.com> wrote:
> Take each candidate and put them in a head-to-head matchup with every
> other candidate.  For each candidate, find the head-to-head matchup
> where the candidate has the most votes against them (even if they win
> that matchup).  Record that number.
>
> Do that for every candidate.  The candidate that has the smallest
> number is the winner.

I'm happy with this version.

> Seems like a pretty weird method to me.  And it doesn't seem like it
> would always select a Condorcet Winner if it exists.

When this rule is used even with partial rankings, this is what I call
"MinMax (pairwise opposition)" or "MMPO." It fails Condorcet, but not too
badly, I'd say. An advantage of this method is that it satisfies Later-no-harm:
Adding lower preferences to a ranking can't harm any higher preferences.
For that reason I think it's a good three-candidate method. (The MinMax clone
problem kicks in beyond three candidates.)

Kevin Venzke