[EM]Re: Normative criteria

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 11 09:20:33 PDT 2005

Mike,
James G-A  used and defined the term "normative" in a
post addressed to you last month.

> "Normative" often stands in contrast to "positive".
A positive judgement is a judgement about how things
are, while a normative judgement is a judgement about
how things should be... specifically what rules and
organizational systems should be used.

CB:I looked it up and the definitions I found agreed
with this.  This one is from http://www.m-w.com/

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=normative&x=20&y=17

One entry found for norm.

Main Entry: norm
Pronunciation: 'norm
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin norma, literally, carpenter's square
1 : an authoritative standard : MODEL
2 : a principle of right action binding upon the
members of a group and serving to guide, control, or
regulate proper and acceptable behavior

One entry found for normative.

Main Entry: nor·ma·tive
Pronunciation: 'nor-m&-tiv
Function: adjective
Etymology: French normatif, from norme norm, from
Latin norma
1 : of, relating to, or determining norms or standards
<normative tests>
2 : conforming to or based on norms <normative
behavior> <normative judgments>
3 : prescribing norms <normative rules of ethics>
<normative grammar>
- nor·ma·tive·ly adverb
- nor·ma·tive·ness noun

CB:My recent use of the word applied to a definition
(used by Forest and others) of  "strongly defeated",
which James had objected to as not being "especially
useful". It was James who started using the phrase
"normative criterion".

> Chris, what do you mean when you say that a
criterion is "normative"?

CB:I meant the same as I assume James meant, that is
just that it is about how things should be. In that
weak sense I suppose  all or nearly all the criteria
mentioned at EM are "normative", so  the phrase could
be reserved for criteria that are based on or
prescribe the more desirable (or "fundamental")
standards.

Chris Benham

http://au.movies.yahoo.com