[EM] Re: Definite Majority Choice

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 5 12:13:34 PDT 2005

Ted,
You wrote (Tue.Apr.5):
"I think Approval Sorted Margins is the best
alternative to DMC from an anti-strategic standpoint.
Note that no change would be required in the ballot to
switch from DMC to ASM, and it uses the same pairwise
array with total approval on the diagonal.  I have yet
to see a case in which ASM gives a different result
than James' AWP or Chris Benham's AM.  I would prefer
to see ASM reduced to a much more concise form before
considering it as a first public proposal, but it
could be proposed as a more secure alternative after
the DMC ballot is adopted."

ASM is definitely equivalent to Approval Margins (AM)
when there are no more than three candidates in the
top
cycle, and at least very similar when there are more.
Two examples of  AWP giving a different result from
AM have been posted recently. In both of them, AWP
elected the least approved candidate. Both were
composed by James G-A  to advertise his method.  This
is his most recent:

26: B>>D>K
22: B>>K>D
19: D>K>>B
6: D>>K>B
22: K>D>>B
5: K>>B>D

Approvals: B48, D47, K46.  AM/ASM elect B.

Chris  Benham

http://au.movies.yahoo.com